The Battle of Loyiv, 1649, in Coverage by V. Lypynsky
Kamianets-Podіlskyi National Ivan Ohiienko University (Ukraine, Kamianets-Podilskyi),
The Battle of Loyiv, July 31, 1649, is one of the pages in Ukrainian military history of XVII century, that has not been studied enough. The campaign, either victory or defeat in which could decide the fate of Ukrainian state, is not presented in appropriate way in sources and literature. The contribution made by V. Lypynsky in its research stays important till nowadays. He tried to explore the preconditions, training of armies and the course of the battle in his book «Stanislav Mikhail Krichevsky» (its other title «The participation of the nobility in the great Ukrainian uprising led by Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky») dedicated to Colonel Mikhail Krichevsky, who commanded the Cossack units near by Loyiv. In his scientific studies Lypynsky used the research of Polish historian E. Kotlubay «Janusz Radzyvyll’s life» (1859), the labors of D. Bantysh-Kamensky, M. Markiewicz, M. Kostomarov, M. Hrushevsky and O. Pereyaslavsky. The last of them dedicated to this battle his book «Loyiv» (1935).
The research basis of V. Lypynsky was formed by the following documents: «The defeat of Krichevsky. Confesata, transported in need of arrested nobleman from Lenkovychof Ovruch, called John Nevmerytsky, who was alongside Colonel John Bruyaka, nobleman from Ovruch, Kyiv province» (V. Lypynsky datesthe document August 3, 1649), «Prince Janusz Radziwill’s Letter to the King regarding the Battle of Loyiv», «The Reportabout defeat of Krichevsky, the Colonel of Kyiv», «The Description of the Battle of Loyiv, placed in«Theatrum Europeum», 1652, simultaneously with its plan and Krichevsky portrait». Scientist found these sources in manuscript collections of archives in Lviv, Krakow, Nesvicz as well asin publications made by M. Kostomarov and E. Kotlubay. The analysis of notes and references that Lypynsky did, makes it possible to assert that he studied all known at that time lists and copies of the sources mentioned above and made their source-analysis.
The merit of Lypynsky, as a researcher of Loyiv battle, was the fact that he used a number of iconographic sources discovered in Krakow archives and libraries. Among them: the posthumous portrait of Krichevsky made from nature in August 3, 1649, by unknown artist (historian suggested that it could be Abraham van Westerfeld), the plan of the Battle of Loyiv made by Captain of artillery from Lithuanian army Krysht of Eyhird, the tapestry of the 18th century (created approximately in 1760 on the orders of M. K. Radziwill), where several scenes depict bringing M. Krichevskyto Lithuanian camp and his death.
Thus V. Lypynsky became one of the leading researchers of Loyiv battle for that time.
The battle of Loyiv, V. Lypynsky, S.-M. Krichevsky, J. Radziwill, army.
- Hyrych, I. (1999). Viacheslav Lypynskyi u svitli yoho lystuvannia za dorevoliutsiinykh chasiv. Ukrainskyi istoryk. (vol. 2–4), 110–142. [in Ukrainian].
- Mytsyk, Yu. (Comp.). (1996). Dzherela z istorii Natsionalno-vyzvolnoi viiny ukrainskoho narodu seredyny XVII st. Dnipropetrovsk: VPOP «Dnipro». [in Ukrainian].
- Mytsyk, Yu. (2009). Studii z istorii Bilorusi. Kyiv. [in Ukrainian].
- Mytsyk, Yu. Stepan Podobailo. Rezhym dostupu: http://www.ekmair.ukma.kiev.ua/bitstream/123456789/493/1/Mytsyk_Stepan_Podobailo.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
- Smolii, V., Stepankov, V. (2009). Bohdan Khmelnytskyi. Sotsialno-politychnyi portret. Kyiv: Tempora. [in Ukrainian].
- Smolii, V., Stepankov, V. (1999). Ukrainska natsionalna revoliutsiia XVII st. (1648 – 1676 rr.). Kyiv: Vydavnychyi Dim Alternatyvy. [in Ukrainian].
- Stepankov V. (2009). Loievska bytva 1649. Entsyklopediia istorii Ukrainy: T. 6: La-Mi. Kyiv: V-vo «Naukova dumka», 257–258. [in Ukrainian].
- Stepankov, V. V. (2010). Postat S. Krychevskoho – vtilennia krashchykh rys ukrainskoi politychnoi elity. Naukovi pratsi Kamianets-Podilskoho natsionalnoho universytetu imeni Ivana Ohiienka: zbirnyk za pidsumkamy zvitnoi naukovoi konferentsii vykladachiv, doktorantiv i aspirantiv.Vyp. 9. U 5-ty tomakh. (vol. 1). Kamianets-Podilskyi natsionalnyi universytet imeni Ivana Ohiienka, 76–77. [in Ukrainian].
- Storozhenko, I. S. (1996). Bohdan Khmelnytskyi i voienne mystetstvo u vyzvolnii viini ukrainskoho narodu seredyny XVII st.: Knyha persha: Voienni dii 1648 – 1652 rr. Dnipropetrovsk: Vyd-tvo DDU. [in Ukrainian].
- Tarasenko, I. (2011). «WojnaDomowa» polskoho khronista S. Tvardovskoho yak istorychne dzherelo ta pamiatka istorychnoi dumky. Kyiv. [in Ukrainian].
- Tarasenko, I. Tvorchist khronista XVII stolittia Samuelia Tvardovskoho v istoriohrafii. Rezhym dostupu: http://archive.nbuv.gov.ua/portal/soc_gum/uashch/2007_12/S109-127.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
- Shcherbak, V. O. Khronika ranomodernoi Bilorusi: retsenziia na: o. Yurii Mytsyk Albaruthenica. Studii z istorii Bilorusi. Kyiv, 2009, 362. Rezhym dostupu: http://elib.ukma.edu.ua/NZ/NZV91_2009_history/14_shcherbak_vo.pdf. [in Ukrainian].