Military Operations in 1648–1649s on the Territoryof the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in M. Kostonarov’s Evaluation
Kamianets-Podіlskyi National Ivan Ohiienko University (Ukraine, Kamianets-Podilskyi),
Kostomarov’s contribution to the research of military operations in 1648–1649 on the territory of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (hereinafter referred to as GDL) is characterised in the article. The historian states that B. Khmelnytsky was sure that the situation on this battlefront defined greatly the character of Ukrainian-Polish opposition, that’s why the hetman paid great attention to it. Very soon certain revolts caused the upraising which spreaded to the southern region of the GDL.
Kostomarov examined S. Velychko’s and Samovydets’ chronicles, D.Bantysh-Kamensky’s and M. Markevych’s works as well as narrative sources of Polish origin. So, he was one of the first scientists in Ukrainian historiography who made a list of surnames and nicknames of leaders of the rebellion in summer and autumn in 1648. He included M. Nebaba, Chvesko, Kryvoshapka, Napalych, Mychaenko etc. Besides, the scientist found out the number and the location of Lithuanian troops at the beginning of 1649, analysed the impact of political situation in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth on military operations in the region.
Kostomarov focused his attention on the battle of Loevovo, as the result of which Lithuanian troops movement towards Cossack Ukraine was stopped. The historian studied these events taking into account Zbarazh-Zboriv campaign (July-August 1649), as these military operations were closely related and took place at the same time.
Kostomarov showed Cossack colonels’ character and temper (in particular M. Nebaba, S. Pobodailo, M. Krychevsky). Because of that, the role of outstanding people in historical process is revealed.
Khmelnytskyi, Great Principality of Lithuania, Lithuania, Loev, detachment, subdivision, camp, cavalry, intelligence service, flank.
- Lepiavko, S. (2009). Ukrainske kozatstvo u mizhnarodnykh vidnosynakh XVI – seredyny XVIIst. Istoriia Ukrainskoho kozatstva: Narysy: U2 t. T. 1. Kyiv: Vyd. dim «Kyievo-Mohylianska akademiia», 326–342. [in Ukrainian].
- Mytsyk, Yu. (2009). Bytva pid Loievom. Albaruthenica. Kyiv: Instytut ukrainskoi arkheohrafii ta dzhereloznavstva im. M.S. Hrushevskoho NANUkrainy, 2009, 150–158. [in Ukrainian].
- Mytsyk, Yu. (Comp.). (1996). Dzherela z istorii Natsionalno-vyzvolnoi viiny ukrainskoho narodu seredyny XVII st. Dnipropetrovsk: VPOP «Dnipro». [in Ukrainian].
- Smolii, V., Stepankov, V. (2009). Ukrainska natsionalna revoliutsiia XVIIst. (1648–1676 rr.). Kyiv: Vyd. dim «Kyievo-Mohylianska akademiia». [in Ukrainian].
- Stepankov, V. (2013). Povstannia 1648 roku u Velykomu kniazivstvi Lytovskomu: problema typolohii (dyskusiini notatky). Ukraina Lithuanica: studii z istorii Velykoho kniazivstva Lytovskoho. T. II. Kyiv: Instytut istorii Ukrainy NAN Ukrainy, 153–161. [in Ukrainian].
- Stepankov, V. (2009). Velyke kniazivstvo Lytovske u politychnykh planakh Bohdana Khmelnytskoho (1648 – persha polovyna 1649rr.). Ukraina Lithuanica: studii z istorii Velykoho kniazivstva Lytovskoho. T. I. Kyiv: Instytut istorii Ukrainy NAN Ukrainy, 89–96. [in Ukrainian].